Good news, TV lovers! DStv has rolled out a brand new feature that allows you to stream DStv channels even when you do not have a decoder or Dish. Here is how to stream DStv live without a Decoder or satellite dish.
It’s like Netflix now. All you need is a smart device with internet connectivity and you can watch DStv anytime, anywhere. No decoder is needed. Follow the instructions below to get started.
How to watch DStv without a decoder, dish, or TV set
You can do this using a smartphone, tablet, or smart TV. Follow the instructions below to your online DStv viewing platform.
- Start by downloading the DStv app from your app store.
You are likely going to find two DStv applications on your app store. Download the DStv now app. See the app logo and interface below.
Once the app is downloaded and installed, launch it, and follow the steps below to register.
- Select sign up
- Enter your correct signup details: Country, name, phone number, password and be sure all fields are completed correctly.
If you are not a new user, sign in with your phone number (or email) and password.
Recommended: How to Install Netflix on DStv
If you have forgotten your password, reset you can always reset it. Be sure to use an active phone number or email for the password reset.
Once you click on reset password, DStv will send you a 4-digit confirmation code. Enter the code, create a new password, and sign in to your account.
For new users, let’s continue with the registration.
- Once you are signed in, you will need to enter your smartcard number or customer number to sync your DStv account.
- If you do not have any, tap skip to proceed.
The first thing you need to do is to create a DStv profile. Creating a profile takes less than a minute
- To create a profile, enter your name, select an avatar, and click on save.
That’s it! You are now a registered user and can watch live TV on DStv from your app anytime anywhere.
- To start watching, click on live TV at the bottom of the app.
This will take you to the favourite channels tab. You are likely going to find this empty.
- Click on the “All channels” tab to find a channel.
- Select the channel you want to watch.
You will find a notification saying “Video playback paused. You are now using mobile data.”
- Click on continue to proceed.
How to set video quality for DStv live stream
If you want high-quality video content during a live stream, you need to have the proper settings.
To set video quality for live stream:
- Go to live TV
- Select a channel you want to watch
- When the channel is live, tap on any part of the screen
- You will find the settings icon at the bottom right corner or right bottom corner of the screen (whichever comes first)
- Select the settings icon
- Then choose the maximum video quality for your live stream.
- You will get five options. The best video quality for you will depend on the size of your screen.
- If you are using a smartphone, 720p should be fine. But if you on a bigger screen, you will want to go for HD or 4K if available.
How To Update DStv Channels List
If you are signing up for the first time, you will get very few channels.
Those who already have a DStv account will not have this problem. The DStv app automatically updates their channels list as per their current package. As a result, all the channels on the package will be available for live stream.
For completely new users, you will have to register for a DStv account and sign up for a streaming package. Once you are done with that, go back to your DStv app, log out, and log in again with your new details to get your channels.
Visit this website to register if you are a new user. (As at the time of writing, new users are only accepted in SA)
DStv continues to maintain its place as an entertainment giant in Africa. After signing the deal with Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, no one expected their streaming platform to show up so soon.
Recommended: Things You should know Before Joining Netflix
However, here it is and it’s a good thing Dstv has been able to keep this feature out of a set-top box.
Will this service affect Netflix? Not at all.
One big problem DStv is yet to solve is the lack of new movies and TV shows (especially when it has to do with foreign content). All you get are repeats even on a Premium package.
So even a new streaming feature from DStv won’t affect Netflix. Dstv will always do well with sports and other entertainment TV channels but when it comes to movies and TV shows, Netflix remains in charge.